WHY IS EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY (ECU) THE UNIVERSITY FOR YOU?
Did you know that Hugh Jackman actually turned down a role in the famous soap opera 'Neighbours' to study ECU's very own Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts?
But guess what, Hugh Jackman isn't ECU's only TSP! ECU has been a top choice for students from around the world for a long time and there are 101 reasons why!
But before we get into all the reasons why ECU is the perfect university for you, here's a little something on the University's cool history.
THE HISTORY OF EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY
Did you know that Edith Cowan University's origins date back to 1902 with the establishment of Claremont Teachers College, the first tertiary education institution in Western Australia? It was named after the first woman to be elected to Australian Parliament, Edith Dircksey Cowan, and is the only Australian university named after a woman.
Edith Cowan obtained government support for her scheme that worked to raise funds for students to attend universities in other states prior to a university being built in Western Australia. Her work in this area was acknowledged by naming Western Australia's oldest education institution and newest university after her, as well as her image being added to the Australian $50 note.
WHERE IS ECU?
Edith Cowan University or ECU is situated in Western Australia with more than 30,000 students at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels out of which approximately 6000 are international students that come from all over the world. It offers more than 300 courses and has partnerships with several educational institutions to conduct courses on campus and offshore. It is no surprise that ECU is a top choice for students. Its focus on teaching and research is inspired by engagement and partnerships with those in a variety of different communities.
WHY SHOULD YOU PICK ECU?
Established in 1991, ECU has grown rapidly into a quality university with excellent student satisfaction and internationally recognized research. Students and graduates at ECU are amongst the best in the world, with many fulfilling crucial roles in society. Their outstanding achievements have been recognized throughout Australia and internationally through awards, grants, scholarships, and prizes.
HOW ARE THE COURSES DEVELOPED?
ECU courses are developed in consultation with various industries, and the teaching staff have extensive industry experience and are well networked. It's why ECU students can expect placement opportunities, fieldwork, practicums, and networking events as part of their studies. This approach has been rewarded with five-star ratings for undergraduate teaching quality over the past fifteen years, along with consistently high ratings for overall education experience and skills development, as reported in the Good Universities Guide.
ECU'S eight Schools collectively deliver more than 250 diverse courses across Medical & Health Sciences, Engineering, Education, Arts & Humanities, Business & Law, Nursing & Midwifery, Science, and the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts.
DID YOU KNOW?
ECU is home to the world-renowned Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts, the oldest and most popular School of Education in Western Australia, the largest Nursing program in the State, and Kurongkurl Katitjin, their Centre for Australian Indigenous Education and Research.
ECU ALSO HAS GREAT RANKINGS!
ECU ranks both nationally and internationally.
Here's a list of ECU's most recent rankings.
- 2022 Good Universities Guide - ECU has maintained its long-standing 5-star rating for teaching quality for 15 years.
- ECU also ranks in the TOP 500 in the 2022 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
Here are 2022 THE Rankings by Subject-
- Engineering and Technology – ranked in top 175
- Business and Economics – ranked in top 250
- Clinical, Pre-Clinical, and Health – ranked in top 500
- Education – ranked in top 400
- Psychology – ranked in top 400
- Social Sciences – ranked in top 400
- Computer Sciences ranked in top 500
- Life Sciences ranked in the top 400
THERE ARE THREE CAMPUSES TO CHOOSE FROM!
With 3 campuses in Western Australia, offering modern and vibrant locations for students to study and learn, it's no surprise that ECU is sought after by a tonne of international students.
Nothing like a variety of choices when trying to pick the perfect location. So, here's a little bit about each campus.
- Joondalup Campus- This campus is the university's headquarters and boasts state-of-the-art facilities including a health and wellness building, a multi-million dollar sport and fitness centre, an award-winning library and student hub, and outdoor cinema for summer months, and incredible on-campus housing.
- Mount Lawley Campus- The Mount Lawley campus is only minutes from Perth, CBD, and the Beaufort Street Cafe strip. It is equipped with extensive teaching resources, first-rate IT and performing arts facilities, a sport, and fitness centre, and on-campus accommodation. The campus is also home to the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA).
- South West Campus - Located two hours away from the south of Perth, the South West Campus (Bunbury) is within easy reach of the world-famous Margaret River region. The Campus is the largest university campus outside the metropolitan area and features modern facilities, small class sizes, a comprehensive range of courses, and on-campus accommodation.
For more information on ECU, campuses visit their website, click this link Edith Cowan University Western Australia - World Ready (ecu.edu.au), and check out their interactive and downloadable campus maps.
ALL ABOUT ECU'S TEACHING SCHOOLS!
ECU is organised into 8 teaching schools with each school responsible for ongoing research programs. Clearly, they have something in store for everyone, irrespective of their passions and interests. Here's the list!
- Arts and Humanities
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Kurongkurl Katitjin
- Business and Law
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts
- ECU South West
WONDERING IF ECU OFFERS SCHOLARSHIPS?
Of course, when thinking about studying abroad expenses would definitely be on one's mind. But ECU has got that covered. The following are the three scholarships available at ECU for international students.
- International Undergraduate scholarship 2022 - It provides students with a 20% deduction on the whole tuition fee.
- International Master Scholarship 2022 - Students can get 20% off the first year tuition fee
- 2022 Welcome to ECU online scholarship - The university offers a 30% deduction on tuition fees each semester off-campus
Also GREAT NEWS! Edith Cowan University Scholarships 2022-2023 are fully funded scholarships for international students. These scholarships are offered to Ph.D. students. They provide a stipend of $28,600 per annum, a relocation allowance, and an Overseas Students Health Cover.
For more information on the scholarships offered at ECU, contact our expert counsellors at AECC Global.
WHAT IS WORK-INTEGRATED(WIL) LEARNING?
Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is a learning experience that allows students to develop their skills in the workplace. What it lets you do is apply the knowledge and practical skills you develop in the classroom to a professional environment relevant to your area of study. This is a compulsory module and is aimed at making sure that you are future-ready.
TYPES OF WORK-INTEGRATED (WIL) PLACEMENTS
There are two common types of placements for students doing work-integrated learning. They are:
- Unpaid placements - Here students complete a 450-hour unpaid placement (full-time for 12 weeks (or a part-time equivalent). During this time students become fully integrated into the workplace and complete projects that demonstrate meaningful placement outcomes. Any part-time work must be worked around the WIL placement. Students completing an unpaid placement are fully covered by University insurance for the duration of their placement.
- Paid placements - Paid placements including scholarships, Summer Vacation programs, and internships offered by large companies are accepted as WIL options (if they meet the 450-hour WIL requirement). The best part? You get to decide and then discuss it with the WIL coordinator, to make sure it's compatible before you apply.
ECU'S STUDENTS HAVE ACCESS TO TOP FACILITIES!
No matter what campus you're studying at or even if you're studying online, ECU offers a variety of great facilities, to make sure you have the best University experience.
Apart from the cafes, taverns, ATMs, bookshops, gyms, sports centres, and libraries, you'll find heaps of useful services, as well. Here are a few.
- Wireless networks are available on all campuses. Multimedia equipment can be borrowed through campus multimedia centres.
- Computing facilities - On-campus 24/7 e-Labs for PC and Mac users, with the latest software.
- Software for home use- Software for home use through licence agreements negotiated on behalf of students.
- Security - Security officers are available on campus 24/7 to assist and protect students, visitors, and staff.
- The Student Guild is run by ECU students and provides academic, social, and financial assistance, organises events, supports student clubs, and offers member discounts.
WHAT ABOUT ACCOMMODATION?
Now, if you're wondering about accommodation, then you should know that it is available on all three campuses in the student villages. Everything you'd require is within walking distance and also easily accessible by public transport.
For more information, you can check out the ECU student villages website at campuslivingvillages.com/australia/perth
If you're looking at off-campus accommodation then you can explore the website below Real Estate Perth | Property and Houses for Sale in Perth & WA - REIWA or Domain.com.au | Real Estate & Properties For Sale & Rent to find a place that's just right for you. You could also live in an Australian home with an Australian family through the Australian Homestay Network.
Well, like we mentioned earlier there are literally 101 reasons why you should join ECU.
Here are a couple of them:
- You can join a Quidditch Club!
- You can practice Law in a Moot Court.
- You can solve crimes in a Forensics Simulation centre!
- There's a Broadcast Studio produced entirely by students.
- You can be a Paramedic in Virtual Reality.
It doesn't end here! Check out the website 101 Reasons To Choose ECU for all 101 reasons. You'll be blown away. I mean, Wolverine studied here, remember?!
So, what are you waiting for?
For more information on studying at ECU, contact our expert counsellors at AECC Global. Click here to connect with us!