How to apply for an Australia Student Visa?
Let us guide you through your student visa process for your international education
How to apply for Australia Student Visa?
Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement.
English proficiency test score.
Character Statutory Declaration Form.
Types of Student Visa in Australia
Independent ELICOS Visa
Vocational Education and Training Sector Visa
Higher Education Sector Visa
Postgraduate Research Sector Visa
Australia Subclass 500 Student Visa
International students who want to come to Australia to study full-time at a registered educational institution must apply for an Australia subclass 500 Student Visa. The applicant will be assessed as regular or streamlined based on the provider and country of passport.
If the visa applicant falls under the regular category, it is mandatory to satisfy English language and financial capacity requirements in addition to the general requirements. If the visa applicant falls under a streamlined category, it is not mandatory to provide evidence of English language and financial capacity.
Health and insurance requirements for Australia subclass 500 Student Visa
- Student Visa Australia applicant(s) must meet the health requirements. Visa applicant(s) might need to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process and can choose to undertake them prior to lodging the visa application.
- Student Visa Australia applicant(s) must satisfy character requirements.
- Student Visa Australia applicant(s) must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. It can be only met by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), unless exempted.
Genuine temporary entrant requirements for Australia subclass 500 Student Visa
- The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement for Australia subclass 500 Student Visa is an integrity measure to ensure that the student visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.
- The GTE requirement applies to all visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa will take into account whether the individual circumstances indicate an intention for a temporary stay in Australia.
English language requirements for Australia subclass 500 Student Visa
- The main applicant needs to provide evidence of English language skills as part of the visa application. It is usually fulfilled by a satisfactory test score in an approved English language test, unless exempted. The following English language test providers such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, CAE, OET scores are acceptable for visa purposes.
Financial capacity requirements for Australia subclass 500 Student Visa
The visa applicant needs to have enough money that is genuinely available to pay for all costs associated with the study in Australia. Evidence of financial capacity can be demonstrated from either of the following:
- sufficient funds to cover travel costs to Australia and 12 months’ tuition, living and schooling costs (for school aged dependents, if applicable) for the main visa applicant and accompanying family members, or
- evidence that the spouse or parents of the main applicant are providing financial support and they have an annual income of at least AUD 60,000 for a single student visa application or at least AUD 70,000 for a visa application that includes accompanying family members
- an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form for secondary exchange students only
- a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) or Department of Defence
Visa Entitlements for Australia subclass 500 Student Visa
- Student Visa Australia holder(s) can study registered full-time course(s) in Australia.
- Student Visa Australia holder(s) can generally work a specified number of hours.
- Student Visa Australia holder(s) can generally stay in Australia until the course is finished.
Documents required to apply for a student visa in Australia
- A copy of your passport along with a copy of your driver licence or national identity card and your birth certificate.
- A completed visa application form (157A).
- English test scores.
- Confirmation of Enrolment or an Offer letter from the institution.
- Evidence of your financial capacity to support your studies.
- Health Insurance (OSHC).
- Criminal check record.
- Recent passport-size pictures.
Cost & criteria for a student visa in Australia
Base application charge
|Student visa (subclass 500)||AUD 620|
|Student visa (subclass 500) (subsequent entrant)||AUD 620|
|Student visa (subclass 500) – Postgraduate research sector||AUD 620|
|Student Guardian (subclass 590)||AUD 620|
Steps for Applying Student Visa for Australia
- To apply for a student visa, you should have secured a COE (Confirmation of Enrolment) or an offer letter from an Australian institution for a CRICOS registered course.
- Once all your documents are arranged and in place, you will have to create an ‘ImmiAccount’ online and apply through the portal. You can directly upload the documents and pay the student visa application fee, which is AUD620.
- Most applications for a student visa for Australia take a month to process. The best part is that you can apply from anywhere in the world. Once your visa application is lodged, you can view the status of it through your ImmiAccount.
- Additionally, you might be asked to attend an interview at your nearest Australian embassy or consulate. With a student visa, you can study two or more related courses if the course gap is less than two calendar months. The overall cost to apply and receive an Australian Student Visa will range between AUD600 and 700.
Australia Student Visa Time
Most international students applying student visa through AECC Global can receive their visa in 4 to 6 weeks. Fill in the form below to apply for Australian Student Visa.
Student Visa Requirement - English Language Proficiency Score
Student visa requirements - English Test Score
|Australia student visa requirements||5.0 overall 5.5||6.0 each & overall 6.0 (depends upon the course some of the health course each band 7.0 overall 7.0||6.0 each & overall 6.5|
|Canada student visa requirements||5.5 overall 6.0||6.0 each & overall 6.0||each band 6.0 & overall 6.5|
|New Zealand student visa requirements||each band 5.0 overall 5.5||6.0 each band and overall 6.0||each band 6.0 & overall 6.5|
|UK student visa requirements||5.0 & overall 5.5||6.0 each band and overall 6.0||each band 6.0 & overall 6.5|
|USA student visa requirements||-||6.0 each band & overall 6.0||each bands 6.0 & overall 6.5|